This Thanksgiving I wanted to give you a number of healthy recipes that are easy to make and create for yourself and your family.
I made the mashed potatoes, cornbread, pumpkin pie balls and vegetable gravy from scratch but I used a Gardein turkey roast. It was pretty tasty and including some homemade recipes will keep you on track with your weight loss goals.
Are you hungry yet? Lets get started!
- 4 large gold or russet potatoes chopped into chunks
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Put the chopped potatoes in a saucepan filled with water, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook until soft which is about 10 minutes.
- When the potatoes are done, reserve about 1/4 cup of the cooking water and use to mash the potatoes, add in garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
Pumpkin Pie Balls
- 2 1/2 cups instant oats
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- roll in nuts/coconut flakes
- In a large bowl combine pumpkin, cinnamon, vanilla and sugar and stir together.
- Slowly add in oats until you get a cookie like dough consistency.
- Roll in coconut flakes or chopped nuts.
Healthy Cornbread Loaf
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 1 cup oat milk
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Whisk cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.
- Add in your oat milk, and maple syrup.
- Pour batter into a nonstick loaf pan dish. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- 2 cups kale
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups mushrooms (or sub beans)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp better than boullion
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Add 1 tbsp of water to a sauce pan and add in mushrooms and onions. Cook 5 minutes until fragrant.
- Add in the rest of your ingredients and sauce another 10 minutes.
- Blend and serve.
- If you don’t want your gravy to be green, skip the kale.