Pin This Recipe!
How long has it been since you’ve had a quesadilla? Seriously? Its one of those things that I never attempted to make vegan because I didn’t just want a tortilla filled with a bunch of daiya cheese thats just going to make me want to take a nap after.
These potato quesadillas are vegan, healthy and will leave you feeling amazing. Crunchy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside, and topped off with cashew sour cream, what more could you ask for?
Here is what you will need.
Vegan Potato Quesadillas
- 1 package (6) fat free flour tortillas
- 2 medium russet potatoes
- 4 cups spinach
- 1 medium white onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch cayenne (optional)
Cashew Sour Cream Ingredients
- 1 cup raw cashews + 1/2 c water (soaked 1 hour)
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- For the quesadillas first we are going to prep our filling. First peel and chop your potatoes and place them in a sauce pan and cover them with water. Bring to a boil then lower the heat to simmer, cover with a lid and cook until soft (about 10 minutes).
- While the potatoes are boiling we will caramelize the onion. Place your chopped onion in a large non stick skillet on medium high. Pay close attention to it and every few minutes add in little bits of water to get them to sauté, then stir, then add in more water until they are browned, this takes about 5 minutes. Once then onions are close to done add in a few more tbsp of water and your garlic, tamari and your spinach and sauté until wilted.
- Once the potatoes are soft, drain them reserving about 1/4 cup water in the pot, add in your nutritional yeast, salt, pepper and cayenne if you wish and mash them until smooth and creamy. Get a large non stick skillet ready over medium high heat.
- Spread the potato mash over one tortilla about 1/4 inch from the sides, add your spinach and onion mix on top, place another tortilla on top and brown in the skillet for 3-5 minutes on each side until crispy and brown. Repeat until all the tortillas are gone.
- For the cashew sour cream take all your ingredients and blend in a high speed blender until smooth. Its best to make this ahead of time and allow to sit and cool in the fridge a few hours.
- Cut the quesadillas in 4 triangles and serve with the cashew sour cream on top.